Tensten's Journal

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Smoosh fan

I have lately been enamored of Seattle-based band Smoosh (warning, noise link) comprising two rather young girls named Asya and Chloe. Are they sisters? 10 years old? 15? Do they produce their own music? These are mysteries to me, but (probably) not due to a lack of available reference. I'm actually hesitant to find out the answers.

I live in fear of bumping into a quote from the girls saying something like: "I really hope you enjoy Quack, our most lyrically complex work to date", which would totally blow the illusion. I prefer the think of the girls as practicing a form of musical glossolalia. They string together series of syllables, Eno-like; it resembles language without dependence on depth or meaning. I worry that were I to believe that they were taking their lyrical content seriously, I would lose the ability to enjoy their surprisingly sophisticated sound.

If that sounds like something you can enjoy, I urge you to check them out. Just don't peer too closely at the man behind the curtain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home